Genero 2.50 EAP now open
Irving, Texas – March 1st, 2013 — Four Js is pleased to announce the Early Access Program for Genero 2.50. This release has new features and improvements in all product areas. While this announcement highlights the major new features in each product area, it is recommended you review the New Features listing at the start of each User Guide to see the full list of new features for each product.
- Genero Business Development Language 2.50
- Genero Web Services 2.50
- Genero Application Server 2.50
- Genero Studio 2.50
- Genero Report Writer 2.50
See “How to subscribe” for details on subscribing to this EAP.
The language has been enhanced to include:
- Dialog modularization for easy reuse of
- Form modularization to allow for sub-forms in a current form specification,
- Support for character length semantics to simplify UTF-8 programming (including Microsoft platforms),
- JSON utility class,
- A new
CLEAR SCREEN ARRAYinstruction to clear values of all rows of a form list,
- New styles for customizing the default action view panels.
- SQL support: New database drivers for PostgresSQL 9.2 and IBM DB2 UDB 10, support for Oracle’s RAW data type, and new FGLPROFILE parameter to defined MySQL’s my.cnf client configuration file.
New features in Web Services include:
- New cryptographic capabilities including Diffie-Hellman and String signature,
- Support for HTTP compression.
The Genero Application Server has several major new features:
- The HTML5 theme is now the default for all Genero Web Client applications, replacing the need to create device- and browser-specific themes. The previous themes (AJAX, Silverlight, iPhone, and Basic themes) are now deprecated. To support this change, a variety of enhancements to the HTML5 theme have been made and are detailed in the Genero Application Server new features table. In addition, the Genero Desktop Client ActiveX is also deprecated in favor of the HTML5 theme (GDC HTTP is still supported).
- The single sign-on (SSO) solutions OpenID and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) are now supported. Support for Kerberos is deprecated.
- You can now delegate the start of a GWC or GDC application or a GWS service to another REST service in order to perform controls (such as authentication, authorization, or monitoring) in a single and centralized Genero program.
- Additional features have also been introduced, to include support for sticky Web services, resource compression can be enabled or disabled, improved handling of invalid service configuration and logging improvements.
For a complete list of new features, refer to the Genero Application Server new features table.
Every tool in Genero Studio has been improved and enhanced.
- Genero Studio now supports the Mac OSX operating system and the Chinese (Mandarin) language. Genero Studio version selection is now automatic, opening files in the version of the file when multiple versions of Genero Studio are installed. This makes it easier to develop with the latest release and simultaneously maintain an application written with an earlier version of Genero Studio.
- Business Application Modeling has been improved with new options to model SOAP web services servers, new constraints management, centralized meta-schema information available to forms and reports, a new 2.1 template set that includes built-in find, native serial management for Informix, and additional POINT and BLOCK sections.
- Meta-schema Manager now includes generated scripts to update the database schema, a diff tool for database schemas allowing easy comparison between schemas and migration of changes from one to the other. Also, keys and indexes are now differentiated; primary and secondary key definitions are now clearly differentiated from indexes even when the user decides not to define these constraints at the database level.
- Project Manager has been enhanced to include multiple language support for third party languages, such as Java and C extensions, permitting compilation of Java and C extensions from a Genero Studio project. The build system now also allows for defining link and execution rules permitting better integration of third party build systems including makefile based projects.
- Source Code Management includes new collaboration tools for subversion (SVN) including SVN blame, SVN diff, and SVN lock.
- Graphical Debugger now includes stack frame management making it possible to view variables locally defined in the context of a function call in the call stack. Remote debugging on a production environment is now possible by remotely debugging on a server machine using local source code on the machine where Genero Studio is installed. Performance has been greatly improved for applications having a large number of variables and arrays.
- A new Graphical Differential tool has been added and integrated into the Code Editor. Files compared with the diff tool are now editable and have the benefits of Code Editor’s features like syntax highlighting. Differences within a line are shown for the current diff block and the details of the difference are highlighted. Now, any file opened in Code Editor can be compared to a reference file. Reference files can now be an SVN file to view differences compared to the original subversion file before modification or a BAM generated file to view differences in and sections compared to the initially generated file. Review differences in single or dual pane views.
Single Diff View Dual Diff View
- Form Designer now includes TopMenu editing directly in the form design. Color and image attributes are also now shown in the form design. The form creation wizard has been enhanced to show the foreign key relations and constraints making it easier to create complex queries and select appropriate fields.
- Genero Report Writer has been improved in both the design and output of reports.Pivot tables, a new element to process and display multi-dimensional data, are now supported. Data can be grouped, aggregated, sorted. The processing of the data can be defined statically in the designer or modified at runtime. It can be displayed as a table or a chart.
- Improvements to report output include page counting options, extended to support large documents, back side page options, an option to treat missing images as a non-critical error to continue producing the report, improved HTML rendering permitting inclusion of more complex documents, QR barcode support, splitting of oversized items smartly, and rotation of document fragments allowing for a portion of the document to be rotated along with its child elements.
- Design enhancements include a new trigger update mechanism and new trigger editing in the design, an optional display of object labels instead of expressions in the design allowing for easier retrieval of an object in the document, and improved header and footer positioning in the design. Also a new smart object creation based on context class allows for each object in the template document to be given a class (header, row) which is considered while creating an element. As an example, when adding a field to the document, it will turn to a label when added to a table header, and to an expression when added to a table row.
If you want to subscribe to the Early Access Program you must have a Four Js web site account (“My Account”) that enables access to privileged technical information.
- Go to the EAP section of our website /download/eap
- Log in to “My Account”
- Choose the Genero 2.50 EAP
- Click “Subscribe”
Four Js will send you an acknowledgment of your subscription in 24 hours (Monday -> Friday).
Upon approval, you will get access to the download section and the associated mailing list.
If you need a valid license for using this version, you can ask for a demo license by filling out theDemo Software Request Form and sending it to the specified fax number. Add the comment “EAP 2.50” on the form.
We appreciate your interest in pre-release access to our products, and value your feedback. Thank you for your participation in this important phase of our product development.
The Four Js Development Team