Genero 2.50 General Availability
Irving, Texas – December 10, 2013 — Four Js Development Tools is pleased to announce the general availability of Genero version 2.50.
New features and enhancements
Business Development Language has been enhanced with the following new features:
- Modular DIALOGs for efficient reuse,
- Modular FORMs for the creation and inclusion of ‘sub-forms’ in a current form,
- Character-length semantic support to simplify UTF-8 programming,
- CLEAR SCREEN ARRAY instruction to clear values of all rows in a form list,
- Form field definition enhancements:
- AUTONEXT supported in DATEEDIT, SPINEDIT, and TIMEEDIT fields,
- BUTTONEDIT item type attribute NOTEDITABLE, to disable the field editor,
- ON CHANGE invoked when selecting a date in DATEEDIT calendar or when changing the value of a TIMEEDIT widget.
- New styles for customizing the default action view panels,
- SQL support:
- New database drivers for PostgresSQL 9.2 and IBM DB2 UDB 10,
- Support for Oracle’s RAW data type,
- A new FGLPROFILE parameter to define the MySQL my.cnf client configuration file,
- SQLite lib integration on platforms where SQLite is not available by default.
Web Services new features and enhancements include:
- New cryptographic capabilities, including Diffie-Hellman and String signature,
- Support for HTTP compression,
- Support for HTTP multipart request.
For a complete list of new features, please refer to the New Features topic in the Genero Business Development Language User Guide.
Planned feature deprecation
The features below will be deprecated in the next major release:
- The FIELD form item type and corresponding .val schema file attributes.
The features listed below will be de-supported in the next major release:
- C API functions like
decadd(), as well as BIGINT and BOOLEAN push/pop stack functions for C Extensions,
- All Genero db database drivers (dbmads*) and related tools,
- PostgreSQL version 8.3 and 8.4 (dbmpgs83x, dbmpgs84x),
- MySQL version 4.1, 5.0 and 5.1 (dbmmys41x, dbmmys50x, dbmmys51x),
- Oracle database driver version 9.2 (dbmora92x),
- IBM® DB2® UDB version 7.x and 8.x (dbmdb27x, dbmdb28x).
Review your code now to prepare for the next major Genero release (second half 2014).
Genero Desktop Client 2.50
The GDC/AX package is deprecated.
For a complete list of new features, please refer to the New Features topic in the Genero Desktop Client User Guide.
Genero Application Server new features and enhancements include:
- The HTML5 theme is now the default for all Genero Web Client applications, replacing the need to create device – and browser-specific themes. The previous themes (AJAX, Silverlight, iPhone, and Basic themes) are now deprecated. To support this change, a variety of enhancements to the HTML5 theme have been made and are detailed in the Genero Application Server new features table.
- The single sign-on (SSO) solutions OpenID and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) are now supported. Support for Kerberos is deprecated,
- Delegate the start of a GWC, GDC application or a GWS service to another REST service in order to perform security controls (such as authentication, authorization, or monitoring) in a single and centralized Genero program,
- Genero Application Server embeds a deployment packaging and management framework for your applications,
- Additional features have also been introduced:
- Support for sticky Web services,
- Resource compression,
- Improved handling of invalid service configuration,
- Logging improvements.
For a complete list of new features, please refer to the New Features topic in the Genero Application Server User Guide.
Every tool in Genero Studio has been improved and enhanced.
- Genero Studio now supports the Mac OSX operating system and the Chinese (Mandarin) language. Genero Studio version selection is now automatic, opening files in the version of the file when multiple versions of Genero Studio are installed. This makes it easier to develop with the latest release and simultaneously maintain an application written with an earlier version of Genero Studio.
- Business Application Modeling has been improved with new options to model SOAP Web services servers, new constraints management, and centralized meta-schema information available to forms and reports. A new 3.0 template set includes built-in find, native serial management for Informix, delete cascade, and additional POINT and BLOCK sections.
- Meta-schema Manager now includes generated scripts to update the database schema, a diff tool for database schemas allowing easy comparison between schemas and migration of changes from one to the other. Also, keys and indexes are now differentiated; primary and secondary key definitions are now clearly differentiated from indexes even when the user decides not to define these constraints at the database level.
- Project Manager has been enhanced to include multiple language support for third party languages, such as Java and C extensions, permitting compilation of Java and C extensions from a Genero Studio project. The build system now also allows for defining link and execution rules permitting better integration of third party build systems including makefile based projects.
- Source Code Management includes new collaboration tools for subversion (SVN) including SVN blame, SVN diff, and SVN lock.
- Graphical Debugger now includes stack frame management making it possible to view variables locally defined in the context of a function call in the call stack. Performance has been greatly improved for applications having a large number of variables and arrays.
- A new Graphical Differential tool has been added and integrated into the Code Editor. Files compared with the diff tool are now editable and have the benefits of Code Editor’s features like syntax highlighting. Differences within a line are shown for the current diff block and the details of the difference are highlighted. Now, any file opened in Code Editor can be compared to a reference file. Reference files can now be an SVN file to view differences compared to the original subversion file before modification or a BAM generated file to view differences in and sections compared to the initially generated file. Review differences in single or dual pane views.
|Single Diff View||Dual Diff View|
- Form Designer now includes TopMenu editing directly in the form design. Color and image attributes are also now shown in the form design. The form creation wizard has been enhanced to show the foreign key relations and constraints making it easier to create complex queries and select appropriate fields.
- Remote Build system has been reviewed to optimize speed and efficiency of remote builds on slower connections. The Genero build configuration is now stored on the server to avoid client/server communication during the build.
- Genero Report Writer has en enhanced designer for improved report output. New ‘Table’ and ‘Pivot table’ components have been added. Pivot tables are a new element to process and display multi-dimensional data. Data can be grouped, aggregated, and sorted. The processing of the data can be defined statically in the designer or modified at runtime and displayed as a table or a chart.
- Improvements to reports include page counting options – extended to support large documents, reverse-side page options, a ‘no-abort’ option for non-critical errors such as missing pages, improved HTML rendering permitting inclusion of more complex documents, QR barcode support, intelligent splitting of oversized items, and rotation of document fragments allowing for a portion of the document to be rotated along with its child elements.
- Genero Report Designer enhancements include a new trigger update mechanism, in-design trigger editing, in-design display of object labels instead of expressions, and improved header and footer positioning. Also smart object creation based on context class allows for each object in the template document to be given a class (header, row), which is considered while creating an element. As an example, when adding a field to the document, it will turn to a label when added to a table header, and to an expression when added to a table row.
- The Genero Report Engine can now be deployed in ‘distributed mode’.The Genero Report Engine is started as a daemon to which Genero applications can connect to process the reports, allowing for vastly quicker processing of short documents and improved scalability.
For a complete list of new features, please refer to the New Features topic in the Genero Studio User Guide.