Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adding new report templates  (Read 11210 times)
Scott B.
Four Js

« on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:20 am »

To create a new report in Genero Report Designer, I can currently use the provided list report template:

File >> New >> Reports >> List Report (.4rp)

If I create some of my own report templates, how do I save them and have them appear in the "Report Designs from Templates" list?
Bryce S.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:49:56 am »

Hi Scott,

I asked the very same thing on a recent 'Studio' training course. There is no simple interface way to add a new template of your own.

To do it you need to modify your 'user.conf' file - search for 'RWLoad' - duplicate one of the template lines and make your changes for your own .4rp.

When using Studio the files are put under something like:  gst\bin\src\studio\tpl
Probably a variant on this if using stand alone report designer.

It would be nice if the product could have an option added to allow the addition of your own templates from within the gui.  I'm also not clear on whether you have to change these template settings for every users install, or if there is a way to point them at a single server instance of all templates (which would be ideal), as I have not yet got around to creating my first one.

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:52:38 am »

Hi Bryce,

or if there is a way to point them at a single server instance of all templates (which would be ideal),

Set the file attribute to an absolute path e.g. file="H:\temp\reuben2.4rp" and ensure that all your team have the appropriate drive mapped to the same place.

For others, what I showed Bryce was user.conf which sits in %APPDATA%/FourJs/<Genero Studio version>.  Like genero Studio.conf this is an XML file that you can edit manually if you wish to achieve things that haven't made their way into the Studio front-end yet.

if you look inside user.conf, look for a tag ... <Page name="Creatables">

If you look at the XML at this point inside user.conf, you will hopefully see a relation between the XML and what you see on the screen when you select File->New

So to add additional template files, edit user.conf and add additional lines below where there is an existing template being made available, and save the template file alongside the additional template files inGSTDIR\bin\src\studio\tpl

I'll add the proviso, do not edit the user.conf or genero Studio.conf whilst Genero Studio is open.  When Genero Studio is closed, it will overwrite your change to these files. 

And a disclaimer that this may change in future versions so don't invest too much time creating templates and making these changes and expect them to work in future releases forever.  I expect one day there will be a File->Save As Template that will do this automatically for you.

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Romain W.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:49:56 am »

Hi,

Actually, there's an enhancement request filed on this in our database: #14864 (Create and save personalized templates). The purpose is to create any kind of files (report definition files, Project Workspaces, resource files, ...) and save them as templates in the 'File - New' dialog.
It is planed to be implemented in version 2.30.

Best regards,
Romain W.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: