Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Report Shrink Too Small in PDF or SVG output  (Read 11959 times)
Asnidzal M.

« on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:52 am »

Hello,

Server : Genero 2.20.04 / GST 2.12.11 /
  Server OS : Redhat Enterprise Linux standard AS3
  Database : Informix Dynamic server 10
  Client : Windows XP SP2/3 / GDC 2.20.10

i have two question :

1.  I try to convert my old report (acsii report) to PDF or SVG using genero 2.20, there is no problem for report with command PRINT COLUMN less than 250, but if the report column is more then 250 the output became too small (please see attachment). I try to solve the problem by changing the paper setting to a3 and from potrait to lanscape  using fgl_report_setPrinterMediaSizeName and fgl_report_setPrinterOrientationRequested, but the output is same "small". Anyone have the same problem and already fix it?

2. I have problem to print my report to printer using fgl_report_selectDevice ("Printer"). There is no error at all at the background(putty or Document Errors/Ouput at Genero Studio 2.12.11), when i choose to print to PDF or SVG, the output is ok... i try to change the setting at GDC 2.20 (Report->Ask always) hoping that the system will ask me to chose the printer ... but same ... no output to printer and no error ... so  what should i do to trace the problem ... ?

* generoasciirep.jpg (62.16 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 2269 times.)
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »

Hi Asnidzal,

You should probably get in the habit of sending these types of questions to your local support center.  support@4js.com.au

For your first question, what would probably work best is if you can take the OrderReportASCII sample program and modify it to have a width greater than 250 so that it is similar to what is happening with your code.  I suspect there is something not quite right because if I take OrderReportASCII.4gl and modify it so that ...
RIGHT MARGIN = 320
Add a line in the PAGE HEADER   PRINT COLUMN 100,"100", COLUMN 200,"200", COLUMN 300, "300"
... to simulate a wide report.

I get the expected output when I still have...
CALL fgl_report_configureMultipageOutput(2, 4, TRUE)

... If I then change to Landscape by calling...
CALL fgl_report_configureMultipageOutput(2, 4, FALSE)
...then that is a better output.

Now finally I change that to...
CALL fgl_report_configureMultipageOutput(0, 4, FALSE)

... so that it is 1 page per physical page, I get 1 A4 portraint page and not 1 A4 landscape page as expected.

For your second question, printing with Genero Report Writer is performed through the back-end server and not the front-end client.  Hence when you select fgl_report_selectDevice("Printer") it will print to your default printer, just as if you had typed lp filename at the command line.  The ability to print to the front-end printer via Genero Report Writer is a future feature being planned.  To change the printer you can try fgl_report_setprintername(printer-name).

Another technique to print a GRW report to the front-end is to do this...
CALL fgl_report_selectDevice("PDF")
FINISH REPORT report-name
CALL FGL_PUTFILE(filename.pdf, "C:\\temp\\filename.pdf")
CALL ui.Interface.FrontCall("standard","shellexec",["C:\\temp\\filename.pdf","Print"],result)

... This saves the report as a PDF on your server, you then transfer it to the front-end PC, and then use a FrontCall to print the PDF file.  As far as I know we cannot change the behaviour of Adobe in that it prints the file without prompting for a printer.

Hope this helps,

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: